[oe] RFC: Inclusion of bootloader utilities in task-base

Rod Whitby rod at whitby.id.au
Mon Dec 3 14:33:19 UTC 2007

Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
>   But well, I'm not arguing if you should include the utils in
> question or not, but rather on more general question what should go
> into standard image (or images of different types), and what not.

That's my goal too.  A couple of sentences at the top of each image file
giving it's intent would go a long way to answering these questions.

For example, I'm writing a nas-server-image.bb file right now, and I've
put at the top:

# This image is intended to provide a configuration
# for a network attached storage server device.
#
# Key features are:
#
# 1) Must be able to mount attached storage devices like
# internal disks, external USB disks, etc.  Should support
# various filesystem choices, but ext2 at a minimum.
#
# 2) Must be able to boot from internal flash, or directly
# from a filesystem stored on the attached storage.
#
# 3) Must be able to share that storage across the network
# using various protocols like Samba, NFS, etc.
#
# 4) Bonus points for being able to support other central
# network services like a central gateway machine might.
#
# Although it is tested with the Angstrom distro, it is
# intended to be distro-agnostic.

-- Rod