[oe] RFC: make do_deploy operate on packages instead of ${S}

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 21:52:45 UTC 2007

Hello Koen,

> Hi,

> Richard recently merged packaged-staging2, which highlighted a
> fundamental problem in how we implement do_deploy.

[]

> If we look at two of the heaviest do_deploy users (linux kernels and
> uboot) we see than do_deploy can be implemented by unpacking the
> kernel-image and u-boot packages.  If it would need files that aren't
> packaged for good reasons, those files should be moved to staging and
> accessed from there.

  This is apparently good thing. And it reminds me of another issue
I've been keeping in mind for long time: can we stop to suffix
deployed kernel by the build date and instead use PR? That would make
sure that a kernel built under same condition is name the same way.
And any change to build conditions (e.g. defconfig change) should lead
to bumping of PR anyway.

  This would make kernel image naming a bit inconsistent with rootfs
naming, but real problem here is that using build date for rootfs
suffix is not ideal too. I'll leave this topic for later time, after
hopefully this zImage naming is discussed.

--
Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com