[oe] monotone merge flood

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 13:38:00 UTC 2007

Hello,

On Dec 8, 2007 12:12 AM, Marcin Juszkiewicz <openembedded at haerwu.biz> wrote:
> Dnia piątek, 7 grudnia 2007, Koen Kooi napisał:
> > Michael 'Mickey' Lauer schreef:
>
> > > I have seen a monotone merge flood these days. Let me please remind
> > > you to mtn pull && mtn update before mtn push'ing.
> >
> > That doesn't help to avoid merges, since you already committed the
> > changes. The safest way to avoid a merge flood is to leave merging to
> > the OE automerger.
>
> Safest but not needed. Monotone is distributed so it is safe to commit
> offline. It is just important to do pull/merge/update before push.

That does not prevent a merge either.

I thought we loosely agreed to not perform local merges (because these
are committed also), but have the
automerger merge the multiple (assumed orthogonally changed) heads for us?

That is, I currently do this:

1) mtn pull, mtn update
2) do my work
4) mtn commit, push

and I omit step 3) mtn pull, update, merge

Regards,
--
Leon