[oe] [Angstrom-devel] [RFC] Using ${PR} instead of ${DATETIME} in deployed kernel image filename

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at vanille-media.de
Wed Dec 12 08:20:06 UTC 2007

Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
> Hello openembedded-devel,

>   I already mentioned this in
> http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/openembedded-devel/2007-December/003695.html , here's specific RFC:
> I'd like to propose using the following filename pattern for deployed
> kernel images: "${KERNEL_IMAGETYPE}-${PV}-${PR}-${MACHINE}", instead
> of "${KERNEL_IMAGETYPE}-${PV}-${MACHINE}-${DATETIME}". This will
> ensure that kernels built from the same recipe are named consistently,
> and thus will allow users and developers track kernels easier. Also,
> any change to build configuration should be accompanied by recipe PR
> bump, so new kernel file will be produces.

+1. Good thing is it forces you to update PR, bad thing is it forces
you to update PR, especially when you are trying out multiple
defconfigs. But I guess in that case you probably use devshell or an
out-of-OE-tree kernel.

>   So:

> 1. Does anybody see something grossly wrong with this scheme?
> 2. Otherwise, I'm going to change this for linux-handhelds-2.6, and
> would like to encourage maintainers of the other kernel recipes to do
> the same.

Isn't it already deployed in linux.inc? I remember I had to catch up
linux-openmoko.inc because of that change.

Regards,

:M:
--
Michael 'Mickey' Lauer | IT-Freelancer | http://www.vanille-media.de