[oe] ANN: Sonkei

Sonkei release team no2spam at nospam.arcornews.de
Wed Dec 12 17:08:20 UTC 2007

Dear fellow developers,

personal frustrations increasingly alienated us from the Angstrom
"community".  At the end, it did not feel much like home anymore.

Thus, we created the Sonkei distribution project.  Sonkei is a Japanese
word for respect.

 * we want to be treated with respect - from fellow devs and users
 * we want to treat respectfully - other devs and fellow users
 * we have great respect for Angstrom and OpenEmbedded
   They are the giants on whose shoulders we stand.
 * usability - we respect that everybody is short on time

Technically, Sonkei will be an overlay to Angstrom and compiled with OE.
But Sonkei will mainly not be a technical fork, but one focused on how
we interact - respectfully.

Rolf is glad that this opens a venue for him to return to the
OpenEmbedded project which he felt he had to leave out of lack of an
alternative, OE-based distro.  Matthias will bring to Sonkei his
expertise in releasing polished, ready-to-use images gained from his
successful Hentges ROM.

We have already successfully compiled the first Sonkei images.  We think
they are not ready for publication, yet.  We do welcome interaction with
other interested developers - either by mail or in #hentges.net.

The Sonkei release team
Matthias Hentges & Rolf Leggewie