[oe] [RFC] ANGSTROM_MODE -> SYSTYPE

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 13:26:40 UTC 2007

Hello all,

On Dec 15, 2007 3:39 AM, Paul Sokolovsky <pmiscml at gmail.com> wrote:
>    ANGSTROM_MODE config variable has proven to be very useful and
> successful feature during the Angstrom evolution. IMHO, it is worth
> generalization of its meaning and naming to become a generic
> additional OE distro configuration parameter. So, I'd like to propose
> it to be renamed to SYSTYPE, with the description "Select particular
> system variant of a distribution which supports such feature, e.g.,
> underlying libc type."

NAK on the name and the combination with other settings:

>   Obviously, it wouldn't be limited to libc type, but intended to be a
> generic sub-parameter of a distro, it could be debug/release type,
> size type (minimal/standard/extended), whatever. The usage idea is to

C library selection is mostly orthogonal from the
debug/profile/test/release/whatever type.
Also, C library selection is mostly orthogonal from the size type (in
fact, that's a target, not
a property of it).

> have standard name for such generic parameter, plus semantically it
> should be expected that a distro allows to build different SYSTYPE's
> side-by-side in the same build dir (like Angstrom does for libc
> variants).

*If* you want to go for this, I would propose DISTRO_LIBC instead and
NOT mix this with any other settings, which are orthogonal and mostly
unrelated.

(I.e. the fact that I want to profile my image, is independent on
whether I built with eglibc or glibc).

Also, I agree with Koen that we then end up in the situation where
people may assume this flag is always respected, while it's dependent
on the distro.

-1 for the proposal

+0 for the making DISTRO_LIBC a global C library selector.

Regards,
--
Leon