[oe] [RFC] ANGSTROM_MODE -> SYSTYPE

Marcin Juszkiewicz openembedded at haerwu.biz
Sun Dec 16 20:48:13 UTC 2007

Dnia sobota, 15 grudnia 2007, Paul Sokolovsky napisał:

>    ANGSTROM_MODE config variable has proven to be very useful and
> successful feature during the Angstrom evolution. IMHO, it is worth
> generalization of its meaning and naming to become a generic
> additional OE distro configuration parameter. So, I'd like to propose
> it to be renamed to SYSTYPE, with the description "Select particular
> system variant of a distribution which supports such feature, e.g.,
> underlying libc type."

Basically I like idea of unifing this. In Poky we have POKYLIBC for it.
But it should be in DISTRO_ namespace as this makes distro change.

>   Obviously, it wouldn't be limited to libc type, but intended to be a
> generic sub-parameter of a distro,

DISTRO_LIBC

> it could be debug/release type,

DISTRO_TYPE

> size type (minimal/standard/extended),

This is handled by distro overrides when it comes to configurations
(busybox, uclibc, kernel configs) and images content.

> whatever.

DISTRO_* can be added at any time as long as they have sense.

> The usage idea is to have standard name for such generic parameter, plus
> semantically it should be expected that a distro allows to build
> different SYSTYPE's side-by-side in the same build dir (like Angstrom
> does for libc variants).

> And nothing really precludes SYSTYPE to be not just "libc", but
> "libc,release", or "libc,release,wm=xfce", or
> "libc,release,wm=xfce,weird_user_config=some_file.conf".

This is *SICK* as this really should be set in local.conf. Imagine how to
handle something like this:

DISTRO=umbaumba-18.7 MACHINE=spitz SYSTYPE="uclibc
uclibc_config=tweaks/uclibc.config release,wm=openbox
openbox_config=tweaks/openbox.onfig kernel=tweaks/linux-rp-umbaumba
kernel_config=tweaks/kernel/spitz.defconfig" bitbake
umbaumba-default-image

All what this command do is possible with auto/local.conf files.

+1 from me for DISTRO_LIBC and good thought other DISTRO_ vars
-2 for me for SYSTYPE variable
-oo for SYSTYPE usage like command above

--
JID: hrw-jabber.org
OpenEmbedded developer/consultant

                 We are the Knights who say: MOVE.L USP,A1