[oe] RFC: Renaming uboot-utils

Andy Wilcox andy at protium.com
Mon Dec 17 03:14:26 UTC 2007

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 14:14 "Leon Woestenberg"
<leon.woestenberg at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > That part makes sense. FWIW, we already have a uboot-mkimage-native
>> > recipe in OE.
>> >

> Also, consider u-boot-utils instead of uboot-utils. The project is
> called u-boot and I thought I saw both namespaces appear in the u-boot
> dir?
> (If I'm too late, probably forget this).
>
> Also +1 from me.

>> > And now you're talking about uboot-utils-cross, not uboot-utils-native
>> >

> Not necessarely.
>
> Anything *-cross is a tool that is built for, and runs on one platform
> and generates output for another.
>
> Andy said a few tools which *are* cross-compiled, so he I think he
> wants to cross-compile tools, which are deployed on the target and as
> such do not generate output for another target.

Leon is exactly right.  I meant I'd use the newly-freed u-boot-utils
to build a few programs for the target - in my case, I'm interested
in fw-setenv, which allows one command-line manipulation of the
u-boot environment area in flash.

Sorry for any confusion.