[oe] pfalcon: revert r5dc6982e... vfat nls modules are not for task-base-kernel26

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 00:50:52 UTC 2007

Hello Rod,

Tuesday, December 18, 2007, 2:24:06 AM, you wrote:

> <CIA-34> pfalcon org.oe.dev * r5dc6982e... / (1
> packages/tasks/task-base.bb):
> <CIA-34> task-base: Add NLS modules for VFAT support.
> <CIA-34> * Add to task-base-kernel26, as vfat is pretty basic feature.
> <CIA-34> Worth refactoring to vfat feature still, I guess.

> You guessed right.

> kernel26 is not a kitchen sink where you can just add vfat-related nls
> modules that are not strictly required for booting a 2.6 kernel.

  As you perfectly know, defining what is strictly required is yet
long task to do for OE and specific machine in it. Whereas Angstrom
RCs are something to do right now.

> Your addition has just *bloated* the rootfs for *every* 2.6 machine,

  No, it did not. It just added 10k of uncompressed modules.

> including those that have no possible way of ever mounting an external
> memory stick at all, let alone a vfat-formatted one.

> vfat is *not* a basic feature that should be enabled for all 2.6 kernel
> machines.  If you want vfat nls modules, then create a vfat feature
> (just like there is an ext2 feature).  Do not pollute the basic kernel26
> feature with this stuff.

  Yeah, I have hundreds of other items on my list too ;-).

> And the comment about "# If you don't need VFAT support - don't enable
> them in defconfig." is not applicable, because there are machines that
> want vfat-related nls modules available in the feed as a downloadable
> package, but not in the initial rootfs.  Therefore they need to be in
> the defconfig, but certainly should not be in task-base-kernel26.

  Again, lots of things need to be, etc. But for now (as is), my doing it
right won't help any machine except some small nslu2. Because vfat of
course will be a distro feature, and so far 1) only nslu overrides
angstrom's DISTRO_FEATURES. Also, there're following things to
consider:

2) It's unclear if vfat feature should ship only 40-50K of kernel
modules, or truly bloat it with dosfsutils. Maybe fdisk?
3) There's also need to clear off machine configs from this stuff,
including proverbial fic-gta*.conf.

  So, I'm actually glad that you care about such stuff. So, while I
planned to do all stuff above via RFCs over following Angstrom RCs,
I'd be glad to just do another quick fix now as you request and
offload tasks 1-3 above to you. How that sounds?

--
Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com