[oe] RFC: feature request - wrap sources

Robert Schuster theBohemian at gmx.net
Fri Dec 21 10:24:48 UTC 2007

Richard Purdie schrieb:
> On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 09:34 +0100, Robert Schuster wrote:
>> I have a feature request that should help dealing with those source
>> tarballs which do not contain a proper top level directory. The idea is
>> to allow to add a parameter 'wrap' to the SRC_URI entry denoting the
>> source tarball. If it is present (and 1) the unpacker creates a
>> directory named ${P} and unpacks the tarball therein.
>>
>> This would make it unneccessary to change S for such packages and
>> furthermore the work directory is not cluttered with files and folders
>> from inside the source tarball.
>>
>> Like it? (Any pointer where such code should be put?)
>
> Would it not be simpler just to specify an attribute like unpacksubdir
> which you could set to ${PN}-${PV}?
Specifying the directory to be created would be nice. However one of my
idea was that by using such a mechanism S would be correct.

Would it be possible to automatically set S to ${WORKDIR}/<anything> if
unpacksubdir=<anything> is used? If so we could have genericity and
saving boilerplate code. :)

Regards
Robert