[oe] OE & Angstrom reputation (was: [Angstrom-devel] Bugzilla is not USENET)

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at vanille-media.de
Sat Dec 22 20:08:58 UTC 2007

Graeme Gregory wrote:
> Guys the bickering in bugzilla is getting to the point where it
> is silly.

> I personally don't feel that this lends a good impression of the OE
> project and the Angstrom distribution.

> Also a lot of the actual arguments belong on the mailing list or private
> emails. People solving bugs don't need to know who annoys who.

> Can I suggest people start applying the 24hr rule when acting on bugs.
> For those that don't know. This rule states if something annoys you
> wait 24hrs before you reply. Its an effective damper for flame wars.

I couldn't agree more. Thanks for starting this thread, Graeme.

Just recently the mood surrounding OpenEmbedded and Angstrom has been
dragged down by lots of small fights and arguments, often put in very
impolite and arrogant style. People are always leaving projects or starting
forks -- this is nothing new -- although usually they do this because
of technical differences, not because they're scared away or
threatened.

I won't pick any individuals here, but rather want to alert you as a whole.
This is seriously compromising the reputation of our respective projects.

A technically superior project can lose big time in a comparison when
it has a battlesome community. Guys, we're losing opportunities here!

_Please_ try to act much more diplomatic, in word and deed. If you're angry,
swallow it down, think a day about it, and formulate a professional
statement. Don't haste. It's very important.

Friendly Regards,

:M:
--
Michael 'Mickey' Lauer | IT-Freelancer | http://www.vanille-media.de