[oe] FOSDEM 2007 Planning

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Mon Feb 5 23:46:33 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 03:41 +0100, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> Ping?

I'm also pushed for time and I can't volunteer to organise this but I
can try and help things along.

http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/Fosdem2007

could use some improvement :)

1. Who's coming?

Add yourself to the wiki!

2. Who is prepared to help out on the OE stand?

Don't be afraid, you don't need to be a hard core developer or
knowledgeable to do this. Its good enough if you know what OE is, have
used it yourself and are happy to talk to people about it. We'll aim to
keep at least one of the 'core' developers around the stall at any one
time so there will always be someone around you can refer people to if
you can't answer someones questions...

If you are happy to help out, can you give some rough times when you
will/won't be available to man the stand? The FOSDEM schedule is
published (http://www.fosdem.org/2007/schedule) so check that before
committing yourself to some times. Please add yourself to the wiki!

3. Graphics

This is a big stumbling block at the moment and I'm hopeless at them. At
the bare minimum, we need some kind of big OpenEmbedded sign and logo,
probably with the website address on it (in smaller letters) too. A
couple of big posters would be good roughly describing what OE does. I
was also thinking we should have something to give people with the
website address/contact details for OE on. Flyers are probably a waste
of money but I wondered about business cards?

We've had people mention they were interested in the PR side of OE, have
we any volunteers to help sort this out? It would be a big help even if
we had the artwork/text produced as others might be able to arrange
printing...

4. Website

At OEDEM, various changes were proposed to the website and whilst some
have been made, its still not as easy to understand as I'd like. Has
anyone any plans/ideas to improve it?

5. People bringing/showing things

Some people have offered to bring/show things, we should probably track
this on the wiki.

How do we envisage the stall looking? I guess we get a table and will
need some kind of cover on it. Various gadgets will be on the table I
guess, what do we have the displays show? How can we make OE look
interesting?

I've been trying to get GL running on the compulab which would have made
a nice display but I can't get it working...

A random thought: We probably don't want gadgets that are
small/expensive on display as sadly people could walk off with
things :(.

A random link:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEventsHowto

Richard