[oe] Linux kernel recipes

Stelios Koroneos skoroneos at digital-opsis.com
Tue Feb 20 17:01:18 UTC 2007

> Some time ago I added packages/linux/linux_2.6.19.bb (currently
> linux_2.6.20.bb) as some kind of generic Linux kernel recipe. Currently
> it is used for Progear and Simpad targets.
>
> Today we got linux-x86_2.6.20.bb which differ in just one thing..
> NAME. It
> does not contain any patches - just source archive and kernel
> configuration file. Can it be merged into linux_2.6.20.bb?

The x86 kernel is for the "generic" x86 machine.
If we can have a "generic" kernel (i.e all things setup as modules plus a
few things need for booting buildin ) i don't think it will be a problem how
we call it.
For the x86 we can "follow" also a kernel like Debian's so we can get the
patches and stuff from there

> We have few other 2.6.20 recipes but they are more machine specific
> (efika, ixp4xx, dht-walnut).

Speaking at least for the powerpc family, its difficult to have a "generic"
kernel mainly to the fact that the cpu's can differer significally.
The difference can be seen even more at the board level.

Stelios