[oe] Impending Kexec interface change

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Wed Feb 21 00:39:53 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 14:36 -0800, Justin Patrin wrote:
> On 2/20/07, Richard Purdie <rpurdie at rpsys.net> wrote:
> > Anyone watching mainline kernels will note that ARM kexec support got
> > merged and will be in 2.6.21 which is good. The issue is that the
> > syscall number had to change since the one its using at the moment is a
> > big hack.
> >
> > This means we will have to change kexec-tools and at that point it
> > becomes incompatible with older kernels.
> >
> > We can wait a bit and change when 2.6.21 is released, or update all our
> > patches now to use the new proper syscall number and update OE now.
> >
> > I know the NSLU2 people are users of this and would value their input.
> >

> I use kexec on my Zaurus to test new kernels (and run multiple "ROM"s)
> so I'd be ineterested in the fix as well. I don't particularly care
> how it's done, though. Please let the list know again once something
> is decided and done. :-)

After discussion with the NSLU2 people, it was agreed we should just get
on with it. I've updated the zaurus kernels (linux-rp) and kexec-tools
itself. The NSLU2 kernels will follow. Anyone else using ARM kexec needs
to ensure their kernel uses the new syscall number 347.

OE users should ensure their kernels and kexec-tools versions match.

Regards,

Richard