[oe] [oe-commits] org.oe.dev xserver-common 1.13: Re-add calibrate-only-if-ts.patch after merge.

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Thu Feb 22 00:49:08 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 00:05 +0100, Florian Boor wrote:
> Richard Purdie wrote:
> > As for xserver-common, I'd like to see the standard version of the
> > scripts remain detect-stylus free as it can work on the majority of
> > targets supported by OE without that now. If some legacy devices need
> > it, lets give them a machine specific customised xserver-common like
> > tslib. OE can handle that kind of thing really easily.
>
> It should not be necessary to have machine specific versions of that package
> which is something we should try to avoid where ever possible.
> Just make that patch a little bit more smart... maybe check if TSLIB_TSDEVICE is
> set and honor is in this case.

If it references detect-stylus in the script, it RDEPENDS on
detect-stylus and we have a needless dependency. This is why I'm
suggesting two versions as a lot of devices don't need that dependency.

> > needs even if not acceptable "upstream". Issues like this is one reason
> > poky "forked" those scripts as we knew our needs might not always match
>
> Well... in this case it is that easy to avoid forking, so why wasting
> time maintaining a fork?

I didn't and don't want to spend time having to justify whatever changes
we make in poky in that area to OE/GPE/whoever. I can guarantee I've
already spent more time in this thread than any time I've spent
maintaining that "fork". I say "fork" as I'm not blocking changes
passing to/from poky, I actively encourage it and if I made any
fundamental changes useful to upstream I would pass them on. I just know
we need certain changes in Poky but I know upstream won't like certain
changes and therefore I choose not to sync them. Some of the changes
we're discussing originated in poky which kind of proves my point :-(.

Cheers,

Richard