[oe] RFC: splitting deploy/ipk into subarchs

Matthias Hentges oe at hentges.net
Fri Feb 23 02:26:04 UTC 2007

Am Dienstag, den 20.02.2007, 14:48 +0100 schrieb Koen Kooi:

> Koen Kooi schreef:
>
> > Marcin and I merged a slightly different version of this today.
>
> As some people found out, their upload scripts broke with this change. I'm sorry that
> happened, but those scripts are more easily fixed than ipkg-utils :(
> Due to bug in ipkg-utils being I haven't been using a straight rsync for a while now, so
> for the curious:

Why not make this change optional via a variable
(ie: SPLIT_DEPLOYDIR_IPK = -1 to turn it off) ?

The current version breaks local OE feeds and requires needless
post-processing.

A slugos deploy dir looks like this now:

all
armv5te
i686
ixp4xxle

I honestly don't see any advantage to the previous mode of operation. If
it is needed for unique situations like the rare case of a multi-machine
build, it should be off by default and - by all means - optional.

My 2 cents
--
Matthias Hentges