[oe] Angstrom and h2200

Nicola Ranaldo ranaldo at unina.it
Mon Feb 26 10:44:48 UTC 2007

On Sunday 25 February 2007 19:34:30 Paul Sokolovsky wrote:

Hello Paul!

[...]
> Friday, February 23, 2007, 2:26:36 PM, you wrote:
> > Hoping i'm not boring you
>
>   No, but this is OpenEmbedded list. Your report would give more use
> if posted to the proper list - angstrom-distro-users (where I route
> this reply).

Ok!, i will redirect angstrom related questions there.

> > New test images boots over my ipaq h2200, and bug #1677 is now closed,
> > howewer i had to disable the S10checkroot.sh startup as it wanted to run
> > fsck over a readwrite mounted filesystem, claiming it's very dangerous
> > and asking the user for a confirmation. This should be patched in some
> > manner.
>
>   Well, this is one boring problem which is very hard to solve,
> because it is rooted in machine idiosyncrasies. You fix it for one
> machine, and it pops up with another, etc., until it goes thru the
> full circle, something changes outside, and the first machine breaks
> again.
>
>   Someone indeed should break this vicious cycle and make a solution
> which either cuts down mentioned idiosyncrasies or flies above them.

Are there so many differences between machines? i thinked the only difference
was in the kernel and input devices configuration files.

>   There's an RFC to have consistent (feature-wise) defconfigs for all
> machines. h3900 & h4000 already joined the party. You're welcome to
> work towards h2200 support, please start here:
> http://defconfigman.sourceforge.net/
>
> > And now some other issues about gpe-image:
> > * the usb0-eth device is not present, is it normal?
>
>   No, it is not. See about defconfig consistency above.

I will take a look at it, howewer to customize my kernel configuration is
there a tool, bitbake config, etc, to submit a .config or to run make
menuconfig before building the kernel?

[...]
> > * i was not able to compile a custom gpe-image (i used the prereleased
> > for tests), the build failed on package freetype with:
> > ./configure: line 2943: i686-pc-linux-gnu: command not found
> > configure: error: native C compiler is not working
>
>   There's some incompatibility with freetype's configure and your
> gentoo gcc.

Other peoples seems to have the same problem,  with patch in #1906 it seems to
be fixed, if some one may review the proposed patch and commit to the
tree.

> > * the last, may i use some kind of emulator before deploying the fs image
> > to the ipaq?
>
>   Yes, QEMU.

fork in a new thread !

Thanks Paul!