[oe] Spurious merges with monotone

Rod Whitby rod at whitby.id.au
Tue Jan 2 22:39:24 UTC 2007

Koen Kooi wrote:
> Someone (or something) just pushed over 170 csets consisting only of merges. Looking at
> the key that committed them it seems that it was a automatic merge. Could the guilty admin
> stop that please?

Apologies - that was (inadvertently) me.

RP pushed a bitbake change, and I updated it on our autobuilder machine
(cause that's where the bitbake problem was being exhibited, so it was
the quickest place to test the fix).  I then did a "make push-bitbake"
to update our org.nslu2-linux.bitbake branch.

Unfortunately, an oversight in our Master Makefile meant that "make
push-bitbake" did not push just the bitbake branch, but pushed all
branches (which meant that it pushed all the auto-merges that the
autobuilder does when org.openembedded.dev has multiple heads).

I have corrected the Makefile so that it only pushes the branch
requested.  Note that the autobuilder still doesn't auto-push anything -
it was (and continues to be) a manual choice (and a manual step) to push
anything back from the autobuilder.

And our monotone.nslu2-linux.org server does not do any merging (it
leaves multiple heads as-is for developers to deal with), so it cannot
be the source of such merge cset pushes (unless some other human pushes
such csets through it).

-- Rod