[oe] A question of workflow

Rolf Leggewie no2spam at nospam.arcornews.de
Mon Jan 8 01:18:43 UTC 2007

Matthew Palmer wrote:
> For example, a few days ago Marcin asked for a patch to make a build of a
> newer version of fakeroot; I'd have whipped that patch up by now except that
> I know that it's going to cause a conflict when the change comes back down,
> so I'm loathe to make the change until I work out how I can manage the patch
> flow

The way I handled this before having rw access was to use quilt and it
worked nicely for me.  Actually, I still use this for stuff I cannot be
sure to fix in one setting to commit right after.

Workflow (optimistically assuming no loops and pauses here)

  quilt new some.patch
  quilt edit packages/somepackage/some.bb
  quilt refresh

and then send the patch to the bug tracker.  Before updating monotone, I
back out all quilt patches (cron does this for me daily)

  quilt pop -a && mtn pull && mtn update && quilt push -a

Maybe this is workable for others as well?