[oe] Stable versions of OE

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 20:20:27 UTC 2007

Hello Nelson,

> Hi.

> I've been following this document
> (http://wiki.emqbit.com//openembedded)
> by Stefano Parusso that explains how to build OE for a ARM board[1].

> It works for the snapshot for November the 7th and not for the most recent
> one. I read in the Getting Started wiki page[3]:

>   Once you have a "known good" version that works well on your
>   system, keep it! To update, clone a new copy; don't overwrite
>   that working version until it's known to be safe.

> So, I guess it means I should stay with the old metadata.

> My questions are:

>   * Does OE ever do "stable" releases?

    OE is a kind of "meta-distribution". To the large part, it leaves
definition of what is stable to specific distributions which are based
on it.

>   * If not, how do you make "stable" releases for yur plataforms?

    By creating branches for specific distributions. For example,
there's a branch for OpenZaurus. As OE uses distributed SCM, you more
or less easily can create and maintain your own private branch, merge
to it from .dev only what you consider stable for you. Even without
creating branch, you can get reasonable level of stability by
pinpointing versions of packages you like to use (in this case you
however at least depend on those versions not being removed, and old
stuff is regularly cleaned up from .dev)

--
Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com