[oe] RFC: Xorg Version Numbering

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Wed Jan 31 10:46:19 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have some concerns about our current xorg versioning policy. Anyone
watching poky will have noticed I added an xserver compatible with the
Nokia N800. To do this, I needed inputproto 1.4 which whilst its
available as an individual release, it isn't In X11R7.1 or the upcomming
X11R7.2. I therefore faced a dilemma as to what PV to give this .bb
file. Options were:

inputproto_X11R7.0-1.3.2+1.4
inputproto_X11R7.1-1.4
inputproto_1.4

The last option is the only really correct one and the only one that
allows sane package upgrades (at the expense of being incompatible with
the X11R7 numbering). For now I settled on the middle option since it
will give me options when 7.2 comes out. I have since faced this problem
with several other xorg packages.

I also had to make some nasty hacks in the .bb files to convince them to
pull the tarball from somewhere outside for the X11R7.x release. It
would certainly be simpler if we just used the versions from
http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/ .

My question is therefore does it make sense to have X11R7.x in PV?

If people want a build compatible with X11R.x, it would be easy to write
a preferred-version-X11R7.1.inc with the appropriate PREFERRED_VERSIONs
set. In fact you could have a script autogenerate that.

I realise removing X11Rx from the PV will break upgrades but I think if
we don't do that, we could be storing up trouble in the long run which
we could change now.

Comments welcome...

Cheers,

Richard