[oe] howto? Build something but not deploy in root image

Tom Walsh tom at openhardware.net
Thu Jul 5 05:01:05 UTC 2007

I know, this has come up before.  Reading through some of the old
messages I see this discussed, but, I do not see any solution(s) mentioned?

I have several parts to this project that must be built during the
bitbake process (bootstrap-image), but are not part of the target
filesystem image.  The total system parts are:

* bootloader - ARM - resides in Flash.
* kernel - ARM - resides in Flash.
* target rootfs image - ARM - resides on MMC card.
* Flash Utility - native (x86) - runs on host computer.

The concept for the system is that the bootloader starts the RAM and
other hardware up.  It then copies the kernel image into RAM and
launches it.  The kernel is configured to look for its root filesystem
on the MMC card.  Essentially, I boot the kernel from Flash, but the
kernel boots from the MMC card.

The only thing that I need in the root filesystem (tmp/rootfs/) is the
packages I named from the local conf files.  The kernel does need to be
there, it soaks up space uselessly.

As to the bootloader, it comes in two sections (files), these are
programmed by the Flash Utility into the target system.  The bootloader
is not needed in the root filesystem.

The problem is not getting these things built, but preventing them from
being installed in the tmp/rootfs/ filesystem or tarball.  They should
only go into tmp/deploy/image/, which  I currently have them going
into...  However, the bitbake system assumes that anything that is
packaged, must be deployed into the root filesystem!?

How do you build a bootloader that resides in Flash and doesn't get
stuck into the filesystem image?  The same would hold true for the
native (linux PC) app which flashes the target memory.

Regards,

TomW

http://openhardware.net http://cyberiansoftware.com http://openzipit.org