[oe] [RFC] Adding screen dimensions to machine configs

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 13:57:35 UTC 2007

Hello Dr.,

Monday, July 9, 2007, 4:35:13 PM, you wrote:

[]

> I agree with Paul's "they provide *some default* screen resolution and
> orientation.". Almost all our screen devices can be rotated on-the-fly
> anyway. The MACHINE_DISPLAY_ namespace is mainly UI frameworks and
> applications, as much as native framebuffer rotations and stuff are
> important to know, they're less relevant here.

  Yes, that's why I responded to Koen's discussion of formfactor
package. We won't get around runtime support for multiple resolutions,
rotations, etc. What it will be, is another question for further
consideration.

  As for the machine settings in question, they serve very specific
purpose, and not hardcode that device is bound to be in that
resolution and rotation all the time. To sum up, their purpose is:

1. Provide consistent way to configure packages which require screen
resolution parameter (usecase: fbreader)
2. To not install large-size graphic resources which won't be
needed/used on a specific device "by default", and at the same time,
to install the resource which will fit a device best (again just in
its default config). (usecase: opie-taskbar's background images).

--
Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com