[oe] [RFC] Adding screen dimensions to machine configs

Graeme Gregory dp at xora.org.uk
Mon Jul 9 14:25:44 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 04:19:25PM +0200, Dr. Michael Lauer wrote:
> > Maybe a MACHINE_DEFAULT_ROTATION is also needed.
>
> I don't think so. What applications care about is if portrait or
> landscape is the common default and this is already encoded in HEIGHT
> and WIDTH.

Applications do care, a short snippet of /etc/X11/Xserver

        "SHARP Shepherd" | "SHARP Husky" | "SHARP Corgi")
                ARGS="$ARGS -dpi 200 -rgba rgb" ;;
        "SHARP Spitz" | "SHARP Akita" | "SHARP Borzoi")
                ARGS="$ARGS -dpi 200 -rgba rgb -screen 480x640 at 270" ;;

Why restrict yourself to the simple usecase of opie backgrounds when
the information could be used in far better ways.

If this information was taken from MACHINE_ variables then a large chunk
of this case statement could be removed. But the way you want to do it
the information is in machine.conf, xserver-common somwhere, and a variety
of other places. And all because you refuse to use real information but
some pre-parsed info that is narrowly defined for one application.

Graeme