[oe] [RFC] Adding screen dimensions to machine configs

Graeme Gregory dp at xora.org.uk
Mon Jul 9 20:19:03 UTC 2007

On Monday 09 July 2007 21:01:36 Dr. Michael Lauer wrote:
> To summarize:
>
> It looks like we can agree to adding information to the
> MACHINE_DISPLAY_ namespace.
>
> However, we're undecided regarding the semantics. Some of think the
> physical hardware information need to be there, some of us want the
> logical (including kernel-level gfx hardware rotation), some of us
> want a high-level meaning.
>
> How do we proceed now? Collect more arguments in favour or against or
> shall we vote? Who is having a voice?

I would vote for using the version that gives the most information and
therefore the other information can be derived.

WIDTH=480
HEIGHT=640
ROTATION=270

You can infer that inside your opie/x11/other system you have a 640x480
landscape.

But from

WIDTH=640
HEIGHT=480

You cannot infer the rotation.

So I think having the physical parameters including rotation is essential.

Graeme