[oe] dbg packages (was: org.oe.dev wireshark: fix -dbg)

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 22:52:47 UTC 2007

Hello Dr.,

Monday, July 9, 2007, 10:57:55 PM, you wrote:

> koen commit wrote:
>> wireshark: fix -dbg
> [...]
>> +
>> +FILES_${PN}-dbg += "${libdir}/wireshark/plugins/${PV}/.debug"
>> +
>> +

> We keep adding this stuff more and more -- since more and more
> packages go from a monolithic state to an extensible -- and
> I don't like having to specify this all over. Can't we get the dbg
> package to pick up all .debug directories automatically?

  That's what I was thinking for some time now too. It's good that
bitbake is expressive enought that we *can* so that with its generic means
like FILES, but doing that again and again instead once and for all is
really boring.

  And there's another issue here - empty .debug directories throught
the rootfs. This one is actually more complex, as empty directories
are there because of package-write task's workings, and sometimes we
want them, sometimes not, so it's unclear how to handle that issue. At
least we for sure don't want empty .debug/'s.

--
Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com