[oe] strange error: missing depends...

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Fri Jun 1 13:40:09 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 19:42 -0300, Rodrigo Vivi wrote:
> Some days ago I was using the bitbake1.6 to build my packages and it
> was working fine, but someday without any apparently reason it stopped
> to work.
>
> Then, after a big looser fight I've decided to change to bitbake1.8
> and the problem was apparently solved... I was seeing the packages
> being build...
> But in the end, for my surprise, I've noticed that a lot of depends
> wasn't build!
>
> Since my task file is not under official repository yet I'm sending in
> this email.
>
> Does any body have any idea?

I was puzzled by this when I first read it as I didn't understand the
problem. If people explain problems clearly, you're more likely to get
answers...

Based on this in irc:

13:14:36] <koen> vivijim: it looks like the problem florian had, RP had
a patch for it iirc
[13:14:56] <koen> something to force do_package_write to run when
building tasks
[13:15:06] <vivijim> when I use bitbake bash it calls every function
including do_package_write but when I use bitbake task-mamona it call
do_package but not do_package_write...

I think I realise the problem - wrong expectations of task-mamona.

A task package's sole purpose is to build a set of packages with
appropriate dependencies.

A meta package causes all its sub package to build. Have a look at some
of the meta-*.bb files and create a meta-mamona.bb, probably inheriting
meta.bbclass. You can always have the meta package refer to the task
package.

Cheers,

Richard