[oe] slugos built as Little Endian

Mark Gross markgross at thegnar.org
Sat Jun 2 12:42:55 UTC 2007

I have a robotics application where I'm using the slugos on an NSLU2 and
the spca5xx camera driver.  I found that the vid captures from the
driver that none of the brightness and white ballance commands seem to
work when issued from the slug using the default SlugOS build.   Looking
at the driver I saw that there are endianness issues with it.  So rather
than try to fix the driver I thought I'd try building the slugos-imgage
as LE.  So I swithiched the nslug.conf file to use le tool chains and
whatnot.

My question is this:
If I issue bitbake -DDD slugos-image from the command line the build hangs when building the kernel
+ oe_runmake zImage 'CC=arm-linux-gcc -march=armv5te -mtune=xscale
-mno-thumb-interwork -mno-thumb' 'LD=arm-linux-ld '
+ '[' xmake = x ']'
+ oenote make -j 4 -e MAKEFLAGS= EXTRAVERSION= LOCALVERSION=
MAKEFLAGS=--no-print-directory zImage 'CC=arm-linux-gcc -march=armv5te
-mtune=xscale -mno-thumb-interwork -mno-thumb' 'LD=arm-linux-ld '
+ echo NOTE: 'make -j 4 -e MAKEFLAGS= EXTRAVERSION= LOCALVERSION=
MAKEFLAGS=--no-print-directory zImage CC=arm-linux-gcc -march=armv5te
-mtune=xscale -mno-thumb-interwork -mno-thumb LD=arm-linux-ld '
NOTE: make -j 4 -e MAKEFLAGS= EXTRAVERSION= LOCALVERSION=
MAKEFLAGS=--no-print-directory zImage CC=arm-linux-gcc -march=armv5te
-mtune=xscale -mno-thumb-interwork -mno-thumb LD=arm-linux-ld
+ make -j 4 -e MAKEFLAGS= EXTRAVERSION= LOCALVERSION=
MAKEFLAGS=--no-print-directory zImage 'CC=arm-linux-gcc -march=armv5te
-mtune=xscale -mno-thumb-interwork -mno-thumb' 'LD=arm-linux-ld '
  CHK     include/linux/version.h
  ^CNOTE: Waiting for 1 active tasks to finish
  NOTE: 1:
  /home/mgross/_dev/oe/org.openembedded.dev/packages/linux/ixp4xx-kernel_2.6.20.bb,
  do_compile (16677)
  NOTE: Sending SIGINT to remaining 1 tasks
  NOTE: KeyboardInterrupt - Build not completed.

 I ^c'ed the build after waiting a long time.

However; if I attempt the same command (after rm -rf tmp) with nohup
"nohup bitbake -DDD slugos-image" it seems to have built.

Why would nohup or -DDD effect the build process?

Thanks,

--mgross

BTW I "think" the brightness control for the camera is working now, but
I have more investigations to do later this weekend :)