[oe] Gumstix machine support

Tom Cooksey tomcooksey at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 4 08:38:08 UTC 2007

Over the last few months I've been looking for an alternative to
buildroot for the gumstix devices (www.gumstix.com). After giving up
on Gentoo, I thought I'd have a go with OpenEmbedded. After reading
through the documentation I realized what I needed to do was create a
gumstix.conf in conf/machine, only to find one already there!

So my question is, how far along is gumstix support in OE and is it
being supported/maintained? I've had a good look through the
gumstix.conf which is there and it all looks right (although I'm an
uber OE newbie at the moment!)

Finally, the bitbake manual seems to neglect to mention the "?="
operator in chapter 2. A kind chap on irc confirmed that ?= assigns a
value to a variable if one has not already been set. I assume this is
a := assignment, otherwise it would get confused if there were more
than two ?= for a single variable?

Cheers,

Tom