[oe] Gumstix machine support

Glenn Neufeld gneuf at ca.rr.com
Fri Jun 8 19:06:43 UTC 2007

Tom-
At 01:38 AM 6/4/2007, you wrote:
>Over the last few months I've been looking for an alternative to
>buildroot for the gumstix devices (www.gumstix.com). After giving up
>on Gentoo, I thought I'd have a go with OpenEmbedded. After reading
>through the documentation I realized what I needed to do was create a
>gumstix.conf in conf/machine, only to find one already there!

         I've been working with the gumstix and OE for a few months,
and I've gotten everything to work except for my inability to get
newer versions of u-boot to compile.  For that I still use buildroot.

         There's also a problem when building images in that the
"mkimage" command doesn't get installed, so I've been putting it
elsewhere and adding it to my PATH.

         I haven't contributed anything back because of my own
uber-newbieness and the fact that I haven't been solving anything by
*really* understanding the ins and outs of OE, although I'm getting there.

         I'm still using bitbake 1.6, and there are still problems
related to my own understanding of the kernel - for example, I'm
using the existing (working) 2.6.15, but I'm still trying to get my
task-base version of my erzatz gumstix distro (temporarily called
"gumstix-tb") to successfully compile 2.6.18.  I need a more in-depth
understanding of the kernel features that are changing, and which
patches I need (or now *don't* need) to make it all work.

         I've altered a lot of existing kernel patches to apply, but
there's a lot more to it than just that.

         My current state of things is that the network, modules,
wifi are working, matchbox and friends compiles and runs in the
Xserver, and my cheap LCD with touchscreen works intermittently with
respect to the touchscreen - I'm still struggling with the version of
kdrive I'm using - kernel input event support is eluding me
patch-wise.  Or maybe it's an X-org version problem?

         I can get data from the touchscreen with "ts_print", but
when I try to get the X server to use it, the TS data stream dies
until I reset.  I'm still working on that one.

         I'd like to think I could be "supporting" the gumstix in OE
sometime soon, but I've got a lot more to learn before that happens.  :)

         Hope this helps.

-G!