[oe] strange error when coding a bbclass

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Tue Jun 12 10:57:35 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-11 at 16:49 -0300, Rodrigo Vivi wrote:
> I have this dummy function in dummyclass.bbclass
>
> python do_blah () {
>     print "teste"
> }
>
> just it...
>
> The strangest thing is that the error depends where I add this task:
> * addtask blah before do_patch  # it breaks do_patch of quilt-native
> * addtask blah before do_configure # it breaks do_stage of quilt-native
> * addtask blah before do_install # it breaks do_configure of linux-libc-headers
> # All logs are in the end of this e-mail.
>
> This is a very stupid and almost empty function that does nothing
> important but the build breaks...

Its not stupid, its by design.

addtask inserts a dependency so if you add

addtask blah before do_configure

You are saying that say "patch" must run, followed by "blah" followed by
"configure". Bitbake will check the task dependencies and build them if
they're missing. If a subsequent task has a timestamp older than its
dependencies it will rerun them too (just on a per recipe basis at
present). There have been requests to extend that so if you rebuild gtk
+, all the gtk apps will rebuild and we will probably optionally allow
that in due course (it should be easy with the new bitbake core).

Cheers,

Richard