[oe] [RFC] locales

Sergey Lapin slapinid at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 14:25:34 UTC 2007

> > 3. all -locale packages generated during builds are written to some
> > special lists, for each language. Then meta-packages are generated
> > from these lists.
>
> This could work but......
>
> the fundamental question is what is OpenSUSE, Fedora, Ubuntu doing to
IIRC they do not package translations separately.

> select a language? E.g. in the case of Opie you want to have a
> language for Opie, in the case for GPE you want to have gettext files
> for the whole system and GPE. You don't want to install translations
> where you don't have the package installed but when you install the
> package you want to have the translations automatically installed.
>
> I don't think this is in the scope of OE but in the scope of
> distributions working together with the environment (GPE, Opie) to
> find a proper solution. Everything to implement it is already there....
big distros don't require so much space economy, so they package
translations inside packages, so the problem is solved. I personally
like RRECOMMENDS solution, like
reciepe foo generates foo, foo-locale, foo-doc, foo-dev.
we have var IMAGE_LOCALES="en_GB en_US"
then RRECOMMENDS_foo will be = "${PN}-locale-en-gb ${PN}-locale-en-us"

so, like this. I think of it as simplest solution. Actually, if
package have some additional locale-dependant files, they could be
added to their corresponding -locale-x-y-z packages.
as for z component I think like en_US.ISO8859-1 will be -locale-en-us-iso8859-1.

All the best,
S.