[oe] [oe-commits] org.oe.dev rootfs_ipk: as per OE policy: remove feed management tools

Matthias Hentges oe at hentges.net
Fri Mar 2 00:33:35 UTC 2007

Am Donnerstag, den 01.03.2007, 17:23 +0100 schrieb Koen Kooi:

> Michael 'Mickey' Lauer schreef:
> > koen commit wrote:
> >> rootfs_ipk: as per OE policy: remove feed management tools
> >
> > Guys, please don't play games. Since it is a handy feature indeed,
> > can we perhaps agree on making this a seperate bbclass to keep both of
> > you satisfied?
>
> All feed management was removed a long time ago from OE because

Bullshit. Explain meta/package-index.bb (I know you can't as you ignored
my previous email due to lack of arguments)

> a) it's out of scope

So you alone define the "scope" of OpenEmbedded and it's usage?
Interesting indeed! I guess I didn't get the memo about that!

> b) can't be done right in an automated fashion

Bullshit again. Because _you_ can't do this doesn't mean anybody else
ever had any problems with it. It was working fine for _years_.

> And after discovering some bugs in ipkg-utils a while ago it seems you have to manually
> munge the Packages file to get something that ipkg will handle correctly when upgrading stuff.

Bullshit part three. I was managing a distribution which aimed to make
any updates available via "ipkg upgrade". Ignoring corner-cases like
kernel upgrades it worked as expected. Always. I never _ever_ had to
edit Packages. Sounds like you FUBAR'ed some packages and then blame the
fault on ipkg.

There are problems with corner-cases on ipkg-upgrade but I prefer
solving them to sticking my head into the ground.

> So whichever way you look at it it's going to add broken behaviour to OE. I don't want to
> explain to users why their 'feeds' don't work because they disabled common sense because
> 'OE generated it'.

It isn't broken, never was. And people compiling their images w/ OE from
scratch can be expected to handle their own feeds. We are talking
developers here, not mouse-pushing windows-hugging endusers!

> But but but but but... OE generates feeds now as well!! Right, deploy/ipk contains
> subdirectories people could abuse as feeds if they want, but I wouldn't recommend it.

No one even asked you about your opinion! You blindly removed a very
useful feature of OE for _bullshit_ reasons after a _bullshit_ RFC that
noone even had a chance to reply to in time.

You even reverted (!) my compromise cset which added a completely
optional an OFF BY DEFAULT oe-feed quoting a _bullshit_ policy that is
no where to be found!

> So *if* people *need* OE to generate feeds, there you have them. However, I strongly
> oppose adding know broken behaviour to satisfy lazy people.

Oh I'm lazy all right. I don't see the point that 90% of all OE users
suddenly are forced to use custom feed-creation scripts (pointless
post-processing).

> regards,
>
> Koen
>
> PS: find */ -name  "*.ipk" -exec mv  '{}'  ./ \;

Needless post-processing that is only required due to your selfish and
ignorant commit to rootfs_ipk and complete and utter disregard of other
peoples interest.