[oe] [oe-commits] org.oe.dev rootfs_ipk: as per OE, policy: remove feed management tools

Koen Kooi koen at dominion.kabel.utwente.nl
Fri Mar 2 09:47:48 UTC 2007

Andy Wilcox schreef:
> Mickey writes:
>> Guys, please don't play games. Since it is a handy feature indeed,
>> can we perhaps agree on making this a seperate bbclass to keep both of
>> you satisfied?
>>
> Agreed.  Any big behavior change like this should have much more discussion.
> It might be wrong, but sometimes bugs become features.  Get used to it.
>
> Feed generation is one way I sold OE internally and one reason why
> it is so terribly useful.  If it has to come out for some policy, then
> perhaps the
> policy should be revisited.

As I said, OE still generates 'feeds' in subdirs of deploy/ipk, in contrary of what people
seem to claim on the mailinglist.

Using deploy/ipk/ as feed will give you the following problems:

1) ipkg doesn't handle upgrades properly if the versions between multiple archtectures
don't match
2) ipkg doesn't handle upgrades proberly when you don't use '-m' (OE does now, but I can
see people 'optimizing' it and removing '-m' to get more speed)
3) if you rebuild a package and forget to regenerate Packages your target will freak out
due to mismatched md5sums
4) Packages.filelist can only be generated from scratch, so the former
deploy/ipk/Packages.filelist was broken

That are the easy things, lets look at other problems:

a) shlib renaming madness. Every now and then something goes wrong with shlib renaming,
e.g. an app starts shipping an extra util and renaming doesn't work anymore. So you end up
with 'jpeg_6b.ipk' instead of 'libjpeg6_6b.ipk'. This means you have to edit your Packages
file to add 'Provides: jpeg' since OE will shlib rename 'RPROVIDES += jpeg' to 'Provides:
libjpeg6'
b) Packaging changes without PR bump. If you just blindly rsync, different users will get
different contents of what appears to be the same package.

We aren't even mentioning stripping 'Source:' fields to make ipkg consume less RAM and
storage.

So, knowing all this, do people still want to pretend that a single deploy/ipk feed has no
problems at all and OE should support it?

On the feed-management tools:

The splitting scripts (to split feeds into gpe/ and opie/ and varous other ways) got
removed and I was told "it's out of scope" by Chris (not to mention the surprise when
'bitbake world' mangles deploy/ipk). package-index.bb, however serves a different purpose
for me: being able to regenerate Packages so I can look at several control files at once,
instead of using dpkg-deb or ar -x to extract single ones. I'll happily remove it Matthias
keeps claiming it's a feed management tool.

Again: the ability to use deploy as a feed is still present, it only moved to subdirectories.

regards,

Koen