[oe] Can cross binutils and gcc be made independent of ARM version?

pHilipp Zabel philipp.zabel at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 22:19:53 UTC 2007

On 3/10/07, Koen Kooi <koen at dominion.kabel.utwente.nl> wrote:

> pHilipp Zabel schreef:
> > Hi,
> >
> > currently binutils-cross, glibc-intermediate and gcc-cross have the
> > PACKAGE_ARCH set by the MACHINE, in my case armv4t or armv5te,
> > depending on the device. This causes them to be built twice,
> > overwriting each other in CROSS_DIR when building a single
> > distribution for all machines. Is it possible to change PACKAGE_ARCH
> > to just "arm" for arm cross packages and glibc-intermediate so that
> > binutils/gcc only have to be built once?
>
> libgcc and libc6.so arm architecture specific, so they indeed need to get built multiple
> times. You don't want every app to SIGILL because you built your machines in the wrong
> order :(

Ah, thanks for clearing that up :(
So I understand we need multiple builds to get libgcc for every arch.
But what about the contents of CROSS_DIR?
${CROSS_DIR}/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/lib/libgcc_s.so will be built
for either arch, depending on the order the machine toolchains are
built.
Is this just not important, or does it mean I can't build for multiple
arm architectures in the same build dir at all?

regards
Philipp