[oe] [RFC] Solving ipkg-utils issues

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 09:12:21 UTC 2007

Hello Koen,

> Paul Sokolovsky schreef:
>> Hello openembedded-devel,
>>
>>   For quite some time bugs in ipkg-utils package (mostly in
>> ipkg-make-index tool) plagued image creation process in OE. Many of
>> them are known to old-time developers, and being (manually) worked
>> around. I was working on resolving them for some time, and guess now
>> finally have both clear picture of the issues and their interaction
>> with each other, and fixes for them. So, I would like to push these
>> fixes to mainline, and am opening this thread for review of
>> them, as well as to collect any other concerns about ipkg-utils.
>>
>>   In my list, there're 3 major issues:
>>
>> 1. Broken version comparison logic in ipkg-utils (note that this is
>> exactly ipkg-utils issues, nether bitbake nor ipkg is affected).
>>
>> 2. Inability of ipkg-make-index to detect packages which were updated,
>> while version stays the same.

> It's hard to distinguish between 'update' and 'data corruption' without knowing if someone
> rebuilt the package.

  Yeah, so I followed suggestion to track ipk timestamps. But we
indeed have overloaded Packages files, and this timestamp is clearly
ipkg-make-index internal thing, so I did it a-la Packages.files,
introduced Packages.timestamps for that.

  But this will be second patch, and I'd like to have it step by step,
with interim testing, because interaction of issues can be indeed pretty bad.

--
Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com