[oe] QA for intentionally unpackaged files

Junqian Gordon Xu xjqian at gmail.com
Wed May 9 02:25:00 UTC 2007

Now there is no way to distinguish if the following is intensional by
the package maintainer or an oversight without taking a closer look at
the contents

NOTE: the following files were installed but not shipped in any package:
NOTE:   /usr/lib/libpython2.4.so
NOTE:   /usr/lib/.debug/libpython2.4.so.1.0
NOTE:   /usr/share/man/man1/python.1
NOTE:   /usr/bin/python2.4
NOTE:   /usr/bin/smtpd.py
NOTE:   /usr/bin/.debug/python

Maybe we should have something in insane.bb to take care of the
intentionally unpackaged crusts. So we can do something like the
following in a bb file to intensionally leave out some garbage unpackaged:

UNSHIPPED = "${libdir}/libpython2.4.so ${bindir}/smtpd.py"  #reason why
not package/ship it

so during do_package or package_QA, it would show as

NOTE: the following files were installed but not shipped in any package:
NOTE:   /usr/lib/libpython2.4.so   UNSHIPPED #reason why not
packaged/ship it
NOTE:   /usr/lib/.debug/libpython2.4.so.1.0
NOTE:   /usr/share/man/man1/python.1
NOTE:   /usr/bin/python2.4
NOTE:   /usr/bin/smtpd.py  UNSHIPPED #reason why not packaged/ship it
NOTE:   /usr/bin/.debug/python

Is SUNK a better word than UNSHIPPED?

Gordon