[oe] do_rootfs fails

Tom Walsh tom at openhardware.net
Fri May 11 17:45:47 UTC 2007

Ok, I admit it, I am totally confused by this whole "debian",
"multimachine", "package_ipk" stuff.  I've been able to avoid
understanding this and think that this might be why bootstrap.image
won't build a filesystem image.

Prior to a month ago, I was using my own task + image bb files to build
my image.  Since a lot of work has been done to make the task-base more
generic, I have moved my project over to using the stock
bootstrap-image.bb and task-base.bb files.  However, it fails to build
properly.

When running a "bitbake bootstrap-image", everything builds but then
fails with:

========= begin ============
[tom at jtag oezipit]$ bitbake bootstrap-image
NOTE: Using cache in '/home/tom/oezipit/tmp/cache/zipit'
NOTE: Handling BitBake files: \ (4534/4534) [100 %]
NOTE: Parsing finished. 4329 cached, 0 parsed, 205 skipped, 0 masked.

NOTE: build 200705111324: started

OE Build Configuration:
BB_VERSION     = "1.6.7"
OE_REVISION    = "<unknown>"
TARGET_ARCH    = "arm"
TARGET_OS      = "linux"
MACHINE        = "zipit"
DISTRO         = "zipit"
DISTRO_VERSION = "1.0"
TARGET_FPU     = "soft"

NOTE: multiple providers are available (db3, db);
NOTE: consider defining PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/db
NOTE: multiple providers are available (db3-native, db-native);
NOTE: consider defining PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/db-native
NOTE: package bootstrap-image-1.0: started
NOTE: package bootstrap-image-1.0-r0: task do_rootfs: started
ERROR: function do_rootfs failed
ERROR: see log in
/home/tom/oezipit/tmp/work/zipit-linux/bootstrap-image-1.0-r0/temp/log.do_rootfs.17150
NOTE: Task failed:
/home/tom/oezipit/tmp/work/zipit-linux/bootstrap-image-1.0-r0/temp/log.do_rootfs.17150
NOTE: package bootstrap-image-1.0-r0: task do_rootfs: failed
ERROR: TaskFailed event exception, aborting
NOTE: package bootstrap-image-1.0: failed
ERROR: Build of bootstrap-image failed
========= snip =============

When I check the logfile, it says that "sh: fakeroot: command not
found".  This is correct, fakeroot-native has NOT been built.  So, I do
a "bitbake -c rebuild fakeroot-native", then run "bitbake
bootstrap-image" again.

It then fails with a logfile message of
"/home/tom/oezipit/tmp/work/zipit-linux/bootstrap-image-1.0-r0/temp/run.do_rootfs.24175:
line 312: ipkg-cl: command not found".  Again, this is true, ipkg-native
is not present.  So, I do a "bitbake -c rebuild ipkg-native", then run
"bitbake bootstrap-image" again.

Now it builds the filesystem target tarball image.

How can I automate those needs for fakeroot-native and ipkg-native?  I'm
not sure where to look, this was working a few weeks ago.

Regards,

TomW

http://openhardware.net http://cyberiansoftware.com http://openzipit.org