[oe] RFD: Bugzilla in general & bug triaging

Rolf Leggewie no2spam at nospam.arcornews.de
Sun May 13 14:33:06 UTC 2007

Graeme Gregory wrote:
> RFC
>
> Dont add people to CC field of bugs without talking to them.

Thank you Graeme for raising this issue.  It is something I meant to
discuss earlier but never found enough time to think it through and
write up something.  I still have not thought it through, but here it goes.

Let me first say, that I am totally aware that we are all doing this in
our limited free time.  We also all don't like things being stuffed down
our throat.  There is a bit of dilemma here.

As a non-dev, I feel one of the better ways for me and others alike is
to make sure the BTS is in good shape.  It is called bug triaging which
I also do in other projects.  For me, this is all about efficiency,
division of labor so to speak (although that capitalistic thinking might
not go down too well with all of us freeminds ;-))  The idea is that
there is someone who sifts through the bug reports and makes sure they
are understandable, complete and real.  The triager also crosslinks bugs
that share similarities and classifies them.   All this *before they eat
up valuable time from a real dev*.  That is at least what I am trying to
do, for the devs to sit down and find well-structured problems to work
on whenever they feel like it (I know the OE BTS is not there yet, bug
2194 is a shy start at this).

This is how Ubuntu and Mozilla approach the bugs they receive.  But it
needs a way to signal "Hey, this bug is OK" and furthermore bugs are
usually assigned to the most appropriate person.  So that is what I did
first, assign bugs to the people I thought would be most appropriate in
dealing with them.  That did not go down so well :-)  So, it was
suggested to me that instead of assigning, I should cc people.  But that
is certainly not the best solution, either.

I believe it would be great if OE started some kind of not too rigid
process of triaging bugs.  All projects are a bit different, so what do
you think would be the best way for OE to handle this?

 > Everyone on oe-issues list gets all bug reports anyway and I can use
 > web search quite effectively myself.

Graeme, I understand your concern.  I don't mean to say "Hey, here is
the solution" but maybe there are some options you might consider.

First is that I would think that it might be a waste of valuable dev
time if all core devs read all bug reports on oe-issues.  Of course,
that is an individual decision.  But if we got something like bug
triaging going in a more instituationalized way, it might indeed become
unnecessary.  Second, bugzilla offers many settings on what mails you
want to receive and which you don't at
http://bugs.openembedded.org/userprefs.cgi?tab=email.  If you read
oe-issues, you might want to consider deactivating all mail from
bugzilla itself to keep the load down.