[oe] Questions: Founding of Open Embedded, dev gatherings etc.

Gerwin gerwin at vanderkruis.net
Mon May 14 18:38:31 UTC 2007

Hi Knut,

I have been quite busy myself as well , lot of embedded work and lot of
php/java work.

I am busy with a wimax kind of smartphone for the asian market which will run
of course linux(currently hardware design fase). And some smaller projects so
it is quite busy at this moment.

> > I got some experiences with developer gatherings after initiationg the
> > Skolelinux project in 2001. Actually we have organised +30 gatherings.
> > Skolelinux is now a part of DebianEdu. The board of "Free Software in
> > School" organises about 6-7 developer gatherings a year. Pictures from
> > opening of one of the gatherings in Forbach - France, gives an idea of
> > the scale:
> >
> > http://www.bawetic.be/PHOTOS/Forbach2006/
> >
> > I would like to see similar activeties in OpenEmbedded space. Maybe
> > Mobile Developer Days 2007 at Alborg University in Denmark could be the
> > place to start?:

Yes I think so , the main problem is that our main developers are in the
Netherlands , Germany , England and Poland. So yes we can send a delegation
but I don't think that all developers will be there . I think we have a
bigger chance if we organize something like this in the Netherlands or
Germany.

> > To sum it up. Gerwin van der Kruis idea is to make a foundation, and
> > getting dev.gatherings started. Is this interesting for you? If you are
> > interesed, how should we proceed?

We discussed about this also during fosdem and later on as well on irc, the
main problem is time and knowledge . For example where should such a
foundation be based , who is going to govern it etc. etc.

OEDEM Frosconn and t-dose are the first opurtunities that we will be present .

I invited you for t-dose as well for a keynote.

Kind Regards,

Gerwin

--
The Holographic Klop Doctor