[oe] RFD: Bugzilla in general & bug triaging

Junqian Gordon Xu xjqian at gmail.com
Wed May 16 03:27:58 UTC 2007

Rolf Leggewie wrote:
> I have asked and been granted greater powers on bugzilla.  There are
> features which we don't use yet but which could aid in establishing a
> sane workflow while rendering unnecessary the current clutches and
> ad-hoc fixes.
>
> Bugzilla will be upgraded soon and no structural changes will be made
> until that is completed.  But that leaves us some good time to think
> about how this should be enhanced.

two quibbles about the recent change in bugtracker
1) aligning left wastes lot of space on the right of the screen. I think
the old "centered" scheme looks better.
2) "the Words field cannot be empty. You have to enter at lease on word
in your search criteria". This is inconvenient for me to just browser
the bugs.

> Things I'd like to see
> * confirmation flags
> * better documentation of workflow status (need to define it first)
> * assigning bugs (or if you prefer "Hey, please take a look")
> * link to some bug searches like the ones I send about 5 minutes ago
>    on the entry page
> * entry page clean-up (why two search fields?)
>

> * removal of dead stuff (ZaurusKernel, Familiar)

better hide them (sort of a archive in case some people want to dig into
those) than remove
> Please add to the list.  The most important point is the second.  That
> is what we should discuss.

I agree on the necessity of the second point. Please have a list of
best-practice/workflow rules (whatever they are) and hide the additional
irrelevant features. A clean and uncluttered interface is also desirable.

Gordon