[oe] RFC: MACHINE_ namespace

Marcin Juszkiewicz openembedded at hrw.one.pl
Sun May 27 14:38:03 UTC 2007

During usage of progear device (now packed due to lack of space) I found
a problems related to how we use machine configs and X11.

1. We have "alsa" as one of machine features but no way to control kernel
modules for it - all are added into machine config as
MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS. Same goes to other features.

2. Progear device use X.org instead of KDrive so I had to create own
images for it because by default we do not have a way to tell which X
drivers need to be present in images.

Proposed solution is adding MACHINE_ namespaces:

MACHINE_KERNEL_ALSA   = "kernel-module-snd-ali5451"
MACHINE_KERNEL_PCMCIA = "kernel-module-yenta-socket"

And other MACHINE_KERNEL_feature to control stuff used in task-base.

MACHINE_X11_SERVER  = "xserver-xorg"
MACHINE_X11_DRIVERS = "xf86-video-siliconmotion xf86-input-mutouch"

MACHINE_X11_SERVER will replace XSERVER used now, MACHINE_X11_DRIVERS will
allow to add needed drivers to X11 images for device without creating
custom ones.

What do you think about this proposal?

--
JID: hrw-jabber.org
OpenEmbedded developer/consultant

                 You can logoff, but you can never leave.
                 		-- Nina Liedtke, "CyberJoly Drim"