[oe] [RFC] adding CONFLICTS

David Farning dfarning at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 01:16:27 UTC 2007

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 08:02:22AM +0000, Graeme Gregory wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 18:33:41 +0200
> Koen Kooi <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl> wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > Since we don't have packaged staging yet, what do people thing about
> > adding CONFLICTS to packages the interfere with eachother like e.g.
> > medialibraries like sdl and their hacked-up qte versions, multiple
> > kernels (linux-foo and linux-foo-devel) etc...
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Koen
>
> This sounds good in theory as long as bitbake actually chokes with
> a sensible error message.
>
> Hopefully then it makes uses more aware what went wrong.

A good way to look at this issue is to study how Seth Vidal sovled the
issue in YUM, Fedora's updater.  It is written in python, so easy for
BitBake developers to understand.

It seems that it would add a good deal of complexity to the current
design of bitbake.

Although useful this might be an idea for bitbake 2.0

Thanks
David Farning