[oe] [oe-commits] org.oe.dev SlugOS: ixp4xx-kernel - added2.6.23.8 recipe and supporting files. (Note that

Mike (mwester) mwester at dls.net
Sat Nov 24 03:02:11 UTC 2007

Leon Woestenberg writes:
> Sorry, this seems to be some misconception amongst the nslu2
> developers. The use base
> for the mainline bleeding edge kernels is much larger*. I assume that
> every active board
> developer want to try and verify the new kernels against his hardware
> *and* is using OpenEmbedded
> to do so ;-)
>
> Regards, Leon.
>
> *ok, so more than two, maybe three :-)

Well, that's 50% more - that's a lot! :)

Just to be clear, this is the ixp4xx kernel we are speaking of, not the
generic kernel recipe.  I'll be happy to be a bit broader in the
communications on the bleeding-edge kernel stuff, in that case.  The current
issues center around Krzysztof's IXP network driver - the kernel works ok as
long as the network driver is loaded as a module.  The current version in OE
will load a patch that prevents it from using all-zeros for the MAC address
when compiled into the kernel, but we still don't have firmware loading
until the system mounts the rootfs -- which eliminates the possibility of
nfsroot, of course.

Thanks!
Mike (mwester)