[oe] [oe-commits] org.oe.dev SlugOS: ixp4xx-kernel - added 2.6.23.8 recipe and supporting files. (Note that

Matthias Hentges oe at hentges.net
Sat Nov 24 03:59:06 UTC 2007

Am Samstag, den 24.11.2007, 13:23 +1030 schrieb Rod Whitby:

Before I go into this: Koen actually made a good point about applying
patches instead of downloading a 40Mb tarball every time.

VANILLA_VERSION = "2.6.23"
KERNEL_VERSION = "2.6.23.8"

SRC_URI = "
${KERNELORG_MIRROR}/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-${VANILLA_VERSION}.tar.bz2
\
${KERNELORG_MIRROR}/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/patch-${KERNEL_VERSION}.bz2;patch=1
\
"

The above is IMO indeed a lot more elegant than

SRC_URI = "
${KERNELORG_MIRROR}/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.23.8.tar.bz2

> Of course Koen didn't write it, so instead of reading the comments to
> understand what it does, he says the following:
>
> Koen Kooi wrote:
> > I would have fixed it myself, but the huge block of
> > python magic in ixp4xx-kernel.inc scared me away.
>
> Which is pretty much par for the course for Koen ... anything he didn't
> write is by definition substandard and shouldn't be used.  He'll
> probably even reply to this to explain why all this ixp4xx-kernel.inc
> functionality has been implemented the wrong way and doesn't follow the
> unwritten "spirit" of OE ...

Actually Koen learned from his past. He wrote down this "spirit" so he
has a page he can point people at when they complain about various
brain-dead "policies". That doesn't make it one bit bitter, but it is no
longer "unwritten" ;)

--
Matthias 'CoreDump' Hentges
Cologne / Germany

Webmaster of Hentges.net & Embedded Linux Developer
GPG ->  gpg --keyserver gpg-keyserver.de --recv-keys 0xAF3030D9

My OS: Debian SID: Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice