[oe] RFC: Replacing ixp4xx-kernel with linux-ixp4xx

Rod Whitby rod at whitby.id.au
Wed Nov 28 06:03:24 UTC 2007

Rod Whitby wrote:
> Now that SRCREV is assumed available in bitbake and OE, it is time to
> revisit the ixp4xx-kernel recipes and use modern-day ways of doing things.
>
> To accomplish this, I intend gradually replacing the ixp4xx-kernel
> recipes with linux-ixp4xx recipes which more closely follow OE best
> practices, and allow for sensible usage of linux-ixp4xx kernel recipes
> for all ixp4xx devices (not just those used by nslu2-linux firmware).
> This will happen over the coming weeks, and I'll make sure the whole set
> of linux-ixp4xx recipes and supporting files are in place well before
> removing or changing any of the existing ixp4xx-kernel recipes.

Well, I had a spurt of productivity last night, and can build angstrom
using the new linux-ixp4xx kernel, so I've checked in linux-ixp4xx
replacements for all the old ixp4xx-kernel recipes.

I'll wait a reasonable time for review and testing of the new recipes
before removing any old ixp4xx-kernel recipes (and will double check
that nothing else is still using them before doing so).  I will mail
again with a notification before doing so.

Style comments on the new linux-ixp4xx kernel recipes are welcome.
(I guess I should have run them through oe-style-thingo before saying
that ...)

-- Rod