[oe] monotone/git (was hello...)

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Thu Oct 4 18:57:28 UTC 2007

On 10/4/07, Tim Bird <tim.bird at am.sony.com> wrote:
> Chris Larson wrote:
> >> Well, 1st - OE folks are used to monotone now. That's primary reason.
> >> The second primary reason is that I know of some developers who seem to
> >> dislike git. And if we're talking about technical reason, one I can
> >> think of is that there's no non-ssh transport allowing push, which
> >> complicates administration of our "central" repository.
> >
> > That's not correct.  You can push to a git repository over http/webdav
> > to an apache2 server.
>
> Theoretically.  My experience is that it often fails, at least with
> the kernel.  But maybe this is just a git-tree maintenance issue for
> the kernel devs.  Chris is correct, however, that the feature is
> present in git.

The only difficulty I've seen with it, in hosting my own projects, is
interrupted pushes.  An interrupted push seems able to leave behind a
stale webdav lock, which has to be manually fixed.. but that's more of
a webdav with apache issue than anything else.  Beyond that, you just
need to ensure your permissions are correct, and set the config
parameter on the repositories to indicate that they're shared, and set
a hook script to executable so it can add metadata to the repo on
pushes.

Course, that said, I'd much rather see a git-daemon with push capability :)
--
Chris Larson - clarson at kergoth dot com
Dedicated Engineer - MontaVista - clarson at mvista dot com