[oe] oe for two target boards at the same time

Koen Kooi k.kooi at student.utwente.nl
Tue Oct 9 08:28:43 UTC 2007

Quoting Cliff Brake <cliff.brake at gmail.com>:

> On 10/5/07, Cliff Brake <cliff.brake at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > How do I setup my directory structure to use oe for two target boards.
> > >
> > > I have an AVR32 board and an AT91 board and would like to use oe for
> > > both of them with at less dublicated software as possible.
>
> > I'd be interested in hearing how others set up their build directory.
>
> After studying Marcin's build setup, and Koen's autobuilder script,
> I've come up with the following which is very similiar to Marcin's
> setup.  My needs are:
>
> - track several machines and distros, and possibly in the future
> different OE trees, etc
> - easily to automatically produce time-stamped snapshot builds (not done yet)
> - easy for me to replicate on other machines
> - easy for customers to replicate on other machines
>
> With the multimachine, you typically need one build directory per
> distro, so the following is what I ended up with:

If you only need to build one distro version you can do:

TMPDIR = "/build/tmp/${DISTRO}"

in local.conf

> The downside of multimachine is you need to reparse the OE directory
> every time you change machine, but the benefit of sharing tmp
> directories for a bunch of machines in a distro more than makes up for
> that.

If you already built binutils you can remove MACHINE=<foo> from conf files and
set it in env, e.g. :

MACHINE=c7x0 bitbake mono ; MACHINE=fic-gta01 bitbake mono

that saves you a complete reparse.

regards,

Koen