[oe] RFC: Kexec Cmdline Support

Hans Henry von Tresckow hvontres at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 21:02:33 UTC 2007

On 9/26/07, Uli Luckas <u.luckas at road.de> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 26. September 2007, you wrote:
> > On 9/26/07, Uli Luckas <u.luckas at road.de> wrote:
> > > By the way, who is the original author of the arm-kexec-utils patch?
> I'd
> > > like
> > > to see kexec support pushed upstream which requires a sign-off of the
> > > original author.
> > >

> > IIRC, Richard Purdie wrote the original kexec patch for arm. I would
> love
> > to try out your solution. Do you know which version of the vanilla
> kernel
> > now has the proper patches in place?
> I use kexec with 2.6.21.
>
> > I would most likely need to do some tweaking, since the original sharp
> > bootloader passes a cmdline that is incompatible with 2.6 kernels.
> For now you might have to modify the hard coded base address.
>
> > But I would love to see some support for kexec cmdline editing in the
> near
> > future.
> >
> > Henry von Tresckow (hvontres)
>
> Thanks,
> Uli
>
> --
>
> ------- ROAD ...the handyPC Company - - -  ) ) )
>
> Uli Luckas
> Software Development
>
> ROAD GmbH
> Bennigsenstr. 14 | 12159 Berlin | Germany
> fon: +49 (30) 230069 - 64 | fax: +49 (30) 230069 - 69
> url: www.road.de
>
> Amtsgericht Charlottenburg: HRB 96688 B
> Managing directors: Hans-Peter Constien, Hubertus von Streit

Ok, I have tested your patch and it works very well. I think the only real
stumbling block left is figuring out a way to get the base address for the
ATAG list without hard-coding it. I think if we can somehow access the
machine_desc structure in the kernel from user space, this would be easy.
Unfortunately I am not very good at kernel hacking yet, so if you or someone
else on the list has an idea, please let me know.

--
Henry von Tresckow (hvontres)