[oe] [RFC] Handling of virtual/* namespace in packages

Marcin Juszkiewicz openembedded at haerwu.biz
Mon Oct 15 12:19:04 UTC 2007

In OpenedHand we got hit by virtual/update-alternatives and packaging.
Poky contains two providers for virtual/u-a:

1. update-alternatives-cworth
2. update-alternatives-dpkg

First one comes from IPKG source and is written in pure shell. Second one
is in Perl so it fetch too much to be usable.

The problem comes when you build both of them (it happens on our
autobuilder due to 'world' build) - package manager (ipkg) selects random
one - in our case it is always 'update-alternatives-dpkg' so generated
rootfs is too big to be usable.

Solution which came to my mind is quite simple. Our distro (Poky) already
prefers 'u-a-cworth' as provider for 'virtual/update-alternatives'. So if
package depends on 'virtual/update-alternatives' then let package.bbclass
mangle its dependencies in such way that 'u-a-cworth' (preferred by
distro) would be writen in package.

What do you think about it?

--
JID: hrw-jabber.org